Devastating video displays blackened broken Greenwich kitchen after cheese toastie hearth

Avery Hill Greenwich flat fire: Blackened kitchen from cheese toastie <i>(Image: @laurabaden on Twitter)</i>

Avery Hill Greenwich flat hearth: Blackened kitchen from cheese toastie (Symbol: @laurabaden on Twitter)

A surprising video has been shared on social media appearing the ceiling crumbling over a blackened kitchen lined in rubble from a up to date hearth in a block of Greenwich pupil apartments.

The video displays the interior of the kitchen burned by means of the flat the place a hearth broke out in a block of apartments at Avery Hill on February 13 after some scholars put a toaster on its facet to take a look at and make cheese on toast.

The cheese on toast used to be then left inside the toaster on its facet to cook dinner unattended.


There have been no studies of accidents and the fireplace used to be believed to were unintentional.

Fireplace products and services issued a caution to other people to just use electric merchandise for his or her designated use.

The partitions are black and singed and the ceiling has crumbled and is putting down on account of the blaze.

There’s particles and water masking the kitchen flooring because the digital camera pans around the room.

Some greater chunks of particles glance to be items that experience come off of the ceiling and wall.

London Fireplace Brigade tweeted: “Having cheese on toast for brunch?

“Don’t be tempted to cook dinner it within the toaster.

“This fireplace in #AveryHill #thisweek used to be brought about by means of a toaster put on its facet to make cheese on toast.”

A London Fireplace Brigade spokesperson on the time mentioned: “The fireplace began after a resident positioned a toaster on its facet and inserted bread and cheese. They then left it cooking unattended.

“Handiest use electric merchandise for his or her designated use.

Have you were given a tale for us? You’ll touch us right here.

Apply us on FbTwitter and Instagram to stay alongside of the entire newest information.

Signal as much as our newsletters to get updates despatched instantly in your inbox.

“Toasters want to be stored blank to stop fires and aren’t designed for use on their facet.

“No longer best does it generate warmth onto the paintings floor however the dry left-over crumbs from the ground of the toaster can get onto the recent parts and ignite.

“It’s additionally in point of fact essential that you just all the time test toasters and different home equipment are became off and unplugged when no longer in use, until they’re designed to be left on, like your refrigerator or freezer.

“Stay muddle to a minimal in your kitchen paintings surfaces particularly close to toasters and hobs as they may be able to by accident transfer them on or catch hearth.

“Firefighters have warned to not use toasters on their facet to make cheese on toast after a hearth at a pupil lodging block on Avery Hill Highway in Avery Hill.

“A part of the bottom flooring of a three-storey block used to be broken by means of hearth.

“There have been no studies of any accidents.

“The fireplace is assumed to were unintentional and brought about by means of the unsafe use of a toaster.

“The Brigade used to be referred to as at 1040 and the fireplace used to be below keep watch over by means of 1118.

“4 hearth engines and round 25 firefighters from Sidcup, Bexley, East Greenwich and Lee Inexperienced hearth stations attended the scene.”