Director of Business Development & Sales, Rockville, Maryland
Very prestigious health / Bio / Pharma, non-lobbying global organization headquartered in Rockville, Maryland has an immediate need for a Director of Business Development & Sales. Regulatory Affairs Professionals Society (RAPS) offers an extremely generous benefits package, one day a week telework, 25 days PTO, ten paid holidays, office closure between Christmas and New Year’s, convenient to metro location, Metro Smartrip subsidy or free parking, Health Reimbursement Account, comprehensive insurance and 403b match.
RAPS is the leading international membership organization for regulatory professionals who are working to ensure the safety, effectiveness, and availability of healthcare products, including medical devices, pharmaceuticals, and biotechnology. We are dedicated to advancing the profession and providing the highest level of support, knowledge, direction, and standards to the regulatory community. Together we are making better healthcare products possible.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This position is responsible for leading and developing all global business development strategies related to enterprise memberships, exhibit/sponsorships, advertising, training, and group portfolio sales. This role leads and motivates a team of professionals focused on developing and reinforcing relationships across the medical device, pharmaceutical, biotech and academic communities that drive revenue to support the organization’s vision, mission, and financial objectives. Primary responsibilities include setting goals/priorities, managing/coaching individual sales contributors, tracking performance/results, optimizing customer satisfaction/engagement, identifying new products/strategies for potential revenue, and adapting plans to address resource/operational challenges. An ideal candidate would be a highly motivated, results-driven individual who thrives on meeting/exceeding goals and collaborating across function to serve member needs and elevate RAPS’ mission.
- Cultivate long term relationships with existing and new accounts and ensure customer retention while increasing lifetime value. This includes conducting market and competitive analyses, needs assessment and working cross functionally with the business development team and other staff to develop and deliver solutions to meet needs.
- Oversee the business development portfolio by setting budgets and quota, developing, and executing plans to reach goals, monitoring progress, and making course corrections as necessary.
- Develop strategies and approaches for prospecting, lead generation and qualification, proposals, and presentations. Lead the negotiation and finalization of contracts.
- Direct internal and external sales teams to grow advertising, sponsorship, exhibits, career resources, online marketing channels and related products and services.
- Build and lead an effective and cohesive global business development and sales team, ensuring regional efforts are integrated and consistent.
- Head the business development team’s contribution to RAPS’ knowledge management culture by making information management at the customer level a core competency of the team. Ensure that business intelligence is captured and shared with internal stakeholders.
- Lead the identification and evaluation of business opportunities. Work with market development, product development and marketing teams to create new markets for existing products and services, new products, new delivery approaches, and other development and marketing partnership opportunities.
- Accountable for the business development team’s budgeted revenue and quota, and the strategic and tactical management decisions to reach both. Integrate marketing, operations, and financial knowledge to achieve these goals. Predict and manage change through innovative approaches; assess risk using financial and market data to develop creative solutions.
- Analyze pricing for all business development products as part of the annual planning/budgeting process or as needed, make recommendations for pricing action to the pricing committee and manage implementation of new prices.
- Monitor regulatory trends and competitive landscape to stay abreast of opportunities to generate leads and develop new business verticals
- Supervise four direct reports with the potential for additional staff as team grows based on need/opportunity
- Manage outside vendors related to advertising and job board sales
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
- 10+ years’ experience managing business development teams
- Demonstrated success on results, outcomes, and achievements, and coaching/motivating a team to succeed
- Strong interest and skills in working in a cross-functional team environment
- Executive presence and dynamic professional style that inspires confidence internally and externally
- Ability to develop and interpret qualitative and quantitative data
- Experience and skills in coaching/mentoring and supervising staff and vendors
- Keen ability to cultivate and grow relationships/partnerships
- Customer-focused, service-oriented approach to dealing with external stakeholders
- Excellent internal/external written and verbal communication skills
- Strong budget management, project management and analytical skills
- Ability to monitor revenue performance against plan and recommend course corrections as appropriate
- Sound judgment, ability to make tough decisions, keen negotiator
- Strong, proactive, solutions-based approach to problem-solving
- Goal-driven, multi-tasker with an attention to detail who thrives working in a fast-pasted, dynamic environment
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office; demonstrated expertise with CRMs and technology; familiarity with Impexium AMS, Power BI and/or database/analytics systems preferred
- Association/nonprofit and/or regulatory/health-science experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or a combination of education and experience which demonstrates the necessary skills and expertise required for the position
- MBA and/or CAE preferred
It is our duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards. To safeguard the health of our employees and their families from infectious diseases, such as COVID-19, all staff are currently working remotely.