Timeframe: June – August 2022 Level of Effort: Up to 30 working days Location: Remote – available to work across various time zones in the Americas, Middle East, Africa
Overview: In 2018, USAID’s Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA) funded Save the Children to lead a three-year initiative to augment global capacity for major disease outbreak response. Through a consortium of partners, the READY initiative supplements existing efforts to strengthen coordination between global humanitarian outbreak structures and operational response organizations. READY is building capacity among humanitarian non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and other stakeholders to more quickly and effectively respond to major outbreaks, including COVID-19, with a multi-sectoral integrated approach that addresses the holistic needs of affected communities – with community engagement and communications at the center.
In 2022, BHA funded the next phase of READY which builds upon READY’s platform, expertise, and global networks to broaden its reach with an in-depth capacity strengthening portfolio, further investment in development, operationalization, and application of operational and technical guidance, and development of a comprehensive knowledge management strategy to improve awareness and application of the best global resources for outbreak responses. In this next phase, READY is refining its focus on strengthening capacity for national and local NGOs, engaging those stakeholders in the design and roll-out of resources. READY’s primary purposes center around holistic capacity strengthening and capturing and applying learning. The READY initiative is led by Save the Children in partnership with the Johns Hopkins Center for Humanitarian Health, the Johns Hopkins Center for Communication Programs, UK-Med, and the Humanitarian Leadership Academy.
READY is seeking a consultant to support in the development of a comprehensive communications and knowledge management strategy and dissemination strategy that will help READY to achieve its goal: that humanitarian NGOs have the tools, knowledge, and skills to support crisis-affected communities and local authorities more effectively in response to major epidemics and pandemics.
The consultant will be responsible for developing associated implementation plans for each strategy and working with the Chief of Party and Lead Associate- Programs to develop timelines and identify and support focal points within READY to deliver the strategy. The consultant will also lead the implementation of discrete pieces of work within the strategies.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities:
- Develop Communications and Knowledge Management strategy for READY II across four key domains: visual identity, dissemination, thought leadership, and web presence. The strategy should provide a framework for the initiative to:
- Extend the reach of READY to the greatest number of humanitarians
- Expand dissemination and put the right work in the hands of the right people
- Amplify READY’s work through strong visual and written identity
- Engage in discourse in the sector
- Showcase accomplishments and resources through web presence and knowledge management
- Develop an implementation plan with key tasks, deliverables, roles, and timelines to support the delivery of the Communications and Knowledge Management strategy
- In consultation with the Chief of Party, lead on the execution of key deliverables within the strategy – exact activities TBC based on the final strategy but could include:
- Development of READY Branding and Marking, Communications and Engagement and Dissemination workflow Strategy process workflows
- Development of READY II templates
- Development of READY II factsheets and briefs
- Mapping of key external stakeholders and engagement and advocacy opportunities
- Develop and execute a clear and organized dissemination strategy for READY II – including emails, networks, social media opportunities and engagement protocols – that raises the profile of READY, enables READY to reach its target audiences, and that supports both overall communications and activity-specific work. Dissemination strategy should include:
- Existing mapping of our network and reach
- Identification of new distribution lists with reach and plans/rules for engagement
- Identification of SCI distribution channels with reach and plans/rules for engagement
- Outreach with consortium partners on distribution lists with reach and plans/rules for engagement
- Social media plan across consortium partners with reach and rules for engagement
- Lead in the development of an engagement strategy (including dissemination plan) for the Outbreak Readiness and Response Learning Hub.
- READY II Communications and Knowledge Management Strategy and corresponding implementation plan
- Support in the development of systems and process required for READY to successfully implement the strategy
- Deliver discrete tasks within that communications plan. Exact details TBC.
- Develop and execute a clear and organized dissemination strategy for READY II – including emails, networks, social media opportunities and engagement protocols and corresponding implementation plan. Lead on the execution of the dissemination plan in coordination with the Chief of Party and Lead Associate.
- Development of engagement strategy for the Outbreak Readiness and Response Learning Hub.
It is anticipated that this assignment will take 30 working days, with all deliverables finalized by August 31, 2022. Any additional hours/days of work required to complete the deliverables are subject to the same rate and require amendment of this Terms of Reference.
How to apply
To apply: Please send CV (with clear descriptions of past similar work), references, statement of interest and expected daily rate to [email protected] Re: Communications and Knowledge Management Consultant by Sunday, June 5th.